Tuesday 9 October 2012

Flying Solo


There comes a time in everyones life where its time to go it alone.  The moment you take off the stabilizers on your first bike or start to swim without your arm bands on as a kid, the day you think you are grown up enough and move out into your first flat, the first time you do a job without your student badge on.

This week, Gemma and Tim leave Kaniki to go home for 3.5 months.
Gemma has been running the Orphans Project very well for over a year and is going home to have her first child.  Even tho I feel weaned, she has let me slowly take the reins on my own, the thought of not having her around to ask advice or bounce things off is quite daunting.

They are also my English buddies, I will be the only Brit in a sea of Zambians and Danes.
No-one else will know who Noel Edmunds is or What Jim’ll fix it is (some of you are thinking thats a good thing).
A funny Scottish or Brummy accent will not be recognized and a full English will mean both  of your parents were born in the UK.

So I wanted to take this opportunity to join with Heaven and stand to my feet (in true Kings Arms fashion) to applaud Tim and Gemma’s last 2.5 years of incredible work here in Kaniki, the lives of many short term teams they have changed by how they have led and by just being their lovely selves, the orphans and families they have encouraged and fed, the communities changed by the houses, schools and churches built and for sharing their house and lives with little old me in the last month.

Here’s to flying solo and new adventures opening the school for orphans on their return.

You both have left an amazing legacy and I cant wait to meet little Water/Wind/Hammer.
(their surname is Mills)
x

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post, although I'm sure i don't get all of it. Its a good salute to a great couple!

    ReplyDelete