Thursday 31 January 2013

Too much

"And can you get 12 batteries and 70 bread rolls..."

3 hours later my friend was back with a bus full............
of bread rolls...............
20 in a packet.................
70 packets...................
thats 1400 bread rolls.....................

my first reaction was to laugh, a lot, but my friend looked worried, so I quickly reassured him that it was ok and we would use them and I wasnt mad.

On monday we took a bus full of bread and a treasure hunting map and had some fun.
(www.kevindedmon.com/about-treasure-hunts/)

First clues pointed to the local orphanage and the workers there, about 100 men and women were in a dark shed eating lunch and were pleased to have a little more on their plates.
We went to the local clinic where about 30 mothers and their many kids ate bread to their hearts content.
Then to a bus pick up spot where about 15 men cheered very loudly at some lunch, to the bush where random passers by and many kids hung out and munched away as we played with balloons we had also brought with us.

At the end we took the remaining rolls to the village on the border as there were still many left. We drove past the police building, a small ramshackled place and thought, ‘I bet no-one takes bread to policemen’.
We handed out many in the office and reception then saw hands reaching out of a 8x8inch hole in a door.
This was the cell, there were about 15 men with standing room only in a room no bigger than 3x4metres with this one “window” in the door.
We handed rolls as fast as we could as we were told by the officers not to feed these men as they were prisoners.
All this anger rose in me as i argued that they needed food as much as anyone else and tried to buy my team a few more seconds.
These men were so grateful and I was broken by a this harrowing experience, I cant stop thinking about them.

I love that God loves us no matter what we have done.
I feel so privileged to have been there, sent to give practical love in a forgotten place.

We are planning another visit next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment