Wednesday 28 November 2012

Along came a spider and sat down beside her

Last thursday I woke to a very sore blob on my thigh.  By lunchtime it was extremely painful and a line of redness was tracking down my leg.
After a swift visit to the Mary Begg Clinic/Hospital (one of the best in the whole of Zambia), I had it confirmed that I had indeed been bitten by a spider.

 A few mornings before i had been waken by the dog playing with a reasonably sized one on my bedroom floor, it had seemed to have killed it so I went back to sleep.
After much research it appears I was bitten by one of these beasts











A zambian baboon spider...
or an African wolf spider.....


I got diagnosed many tablets and cream and had a couple of injections.  After 6 days of feeling really quite ill, my skin was on fire, blisters of pus, fevers and at times in and out of consciousness.
I am now glad to report I am back on my feet, even if its limping.

Today I am grateful for 
Dr Lion (yes, that really was his name) and the team at Mary Begg
That I had the sense to get it checked out when I did
Pernille, Malene, Anne-Mette and the team who have cared for me here in Zambia
Friends overseas who have talked with me, written emails, sent photos to entertain me, prayed, let me process and loved and cared for me from there. I am so grateful to have friends like you.

I Thank God for you all.

Archie and I taking it easy



1 comment:

  1. Had a SUBWAY SUBWAY for lunch, then 241 Costa Christmas drinks while enjoying free WiFi.. But with all that joy, we still miss the ZJ! No idea U were so I'll, glad ur better and love seeing your pics. Love from us both. Tim and Gem

    ReplyDelete